Thursday, November 21, 2013

Blog My Advocacy Plan and Concerns


So I have been discussing with the assistant principal and a few teachers about what type of presentation.  I informed the assistant principal that I would like to create a PowerPoint and hand out an outline about my advocacy.  I would like to create a feedback questionnaire for my audience to answer.  Another thought is to hand out a copy of my Power Point.  I am nervous about my delivery, such as causing my audience to get so bored that they are not able to focus on my message or give me feedback.  I have had conversations with the principal, assistant principal, two teachers, and two other support staff that works with children and interact with their families.  I am also concerned about my message connecting with my audience.  Will they be able to comprehend the importance of my advocacy?
What can I do to feel more comfortable about my presentation?
Will my delivery affect the importance of my advocacy?
Will people even show up?
Am I prepared for distracting moments, for example, if someone walks in late or walks out of the presentation?
Here is an advocacy early literacy website, Early Literacy: A sustainable statewide approach http://www.americanlibrariesmagazine.org/article/early-literacy-sustainable-statewide-approach
As well as Reading Rockets http://www.readingrockets.org/article/c62/
 
 

4 comments:

  1. Terrena,

    I think some of your questions might stem from a little anxiety related to the upcoming presentation. I also think it's perfectly normal to be feeling this way before the culmination of your hard work. I think I began experiencing some anxiety about the presentation last week.

    As far as feeling comfortable about your presentation, I think that rehearsing your presentation several times before the actual day will help to relieve some concerns over this. The more familiar you are with what you'd like to say will hopefully reduce concerns about the actual presentation.

    I don't know if you can ever be totally prepared for distracting moments due to the fact that they are usually unexpected. I feel that the best way to deal with distracting moments is to prepare a few different ways to deal with the distractions. For instance you might decide that taking a couple of slow, deep breaths before starting back up will help, or perhaps counting to 10 to refocus yourself before continuing. The key is picking what works to refocus yourself in those distracting moments.

    Gook luck on this next part of the advocacy journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One way that I am trying to make myself comfortable is that I keep telling myself that special needs is my passion. I fought long and hard for my grandson and still have lots of fight left for other children.

    I too am worried about people showing up. My director is helping me work through that.

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think to keep the parents engaged, use a lot of small group discussions, activities, or role playing. Anything other then just lecturing the whole time. If you break it up, a few minutes of lecture, then small group discussion, then a few minutes of lecture, then an activity, ect... That will help the parents stay focused. Encourage the parents to share some stories or real-life examples that the other parents can relate to or have been through, this will keep their attention and they will be interested in your response. Having the "hands-on" approach will make the parents feel apart of the conversation instead of being "talked to"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terrena, I want to thank you for making me feel that my nervousness was normal. I was glad to hear that other people felt the same way. I can see from your posts that you are a caring a dedicated individual. Good luck in your future career and sdvocacy.

    ReplyDelete